Olivet English Lutheran Church was organized in 1921 by 12 people with a vision. The church was known as Trinity English Church, but later the name was changed to Olivet Lutheran Church.
Eighty people attended the first service at 1st Avenue and 10th Street South in Fargo, on January 15, 1922. A new church was built in 1923 at 10th Street and 10th Avenue South in Fargo.
The confirmation class, a circle and an anonymous donor, donated colored paraments and were used for the fitrst time in 1938.
Olivet has always had a Sunday School of which it can be justly proud. It grew from 46 in 1922 to 700 in 1947.
In 1954 Olivet pledged $10,000 of credit to sponsor a mission church called Bethlehem Lutheran in South Fargo.
By the end of the fifties, all indebtedness had been retired and a building fund began in anticipation of a new church structure at 1330 University Drive. The first service in the new church was held in 1965.
Olivet has been blessed with dedicated pastors. In the church’s history, it has had six senior pastors.
Pastor J. Walter Johnshoy was the first permanent pastor to lead the flock. Pastor J. Melvin Moe served for 25 years. He resigned in 1953. Next came Pastor Nelson Preus. He left in 1968. Pastor Richard Holleque then began his ministry and served for 17 years. The parish lost him to cancer. Pastor Dale Trautman was installed in 1986 and was asked to resign in 1995. The Call Committee searched long and hard to find the right shepherd for Olivet’s flock. We found a leader in Pastor Jeff Sandgren who became our Senior Pastor in August of 1996.
Membership, December 2010